I’ve been holding my review for this product coz I really wanna see its pros and cons and not to be bias by equating expensive to efficacy.. Im using the crème type. There’s actually 3 variants of this (1)crème type – for dry skin (2) gel type – lighter version, and (3) the lotion type – with oil absorbing property. I searched MUA for review. It was a mixed review, 50%++ approval rating only.. But as I was reading, the consistent comment was you should know how to properly apply it for it to work,.
What is La mer:
We all know by now that it was discovered by Dr. Max Huber and was bought by Estee Lauder Company.. It is basically a moisturizer with high potent Miracle Broth (sea kelp, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, lecithin, Vit. C, E, B12, oils of citus , eucalyptus, whe at germ, alfala and sunflower) The Sea-kelp is harvested twice a year only and takes 3-4 months of bio-fermentation processing. Sea kelp also is said to have anti-bacterial property so a little amount of preservative is needed. Each jar is hand filled to sustain its balance (or potency)… Claims to give skin a softer, firmer look, makes it creaseless. Makes aging lines and pores less visible. Heals dry skin and soothes sensitivities
• Seaweed (Algae) Extract
• Mineral Oil
• Isohexadecane - thickening agent and emulsifier
• Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Extract
• Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina) - commonly used thickening agent
• Lanolin Alcohol
• Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil
• Eucalyptus Globules (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil - anti-bacterial
• Magnesium Sulfate
• Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seeds
• Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa)
• Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seeds
• Prunus Amygoalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) seed meal
• Potassium Gluconnate
• Copper Gluconate
• Calcium gluconate
• Magnessium gluconate
• Zinc Gluconate
• Tocopherol Succinate – most effective form of Vit. E
• Decyl Oleate - emollient
• Aluminum Distearate - emulsifier
• Octyldodecanol - emulsifier with emollient properties
• Citric Acid - used to adjust the pH
• Cyanocobalamin - Vitamin B12
• Magnesium Stearate - thickening agent
• Panthenol - humectant
• Limonene - Oil derived from the peels of citrus fruits
• Geraniol – part of rose oil, anti oxidant
• Linalool - A floral fragrance
• Hydroxycitronellal - floral fragrance
• Citronellol: fragrance
• Benzyl Salicylate - fragrance
• Citral - lemon fragrance
• Methylchloroisothiazolinone – tongue twister,. I mean.. preservative LOL..
• Methylisothiazolinone - preservative
• Alcohol Denat
How to use it:
Dip the spatula (yes it comes with a spatula) and get a pinch of it, that’s 0.5cm from the tip (half a pea size, never use more, it’s the culprit why some users break out with this. It is really a heavy cream). Warm it between fingers in circular motion (you’re like praying here), The SA said count upto 6, I count upto 15 then the color will slithly lighten and the consistency will will become less thick. Then pat it in your forehead, cheeks, nose, chin,. Then spread lightly and evenly by tapping some reviewers say don’t spread it, but push it to skin, I do so by tapping it to my entire face.,. Do so in neck area.. When putting it in my eye area, I warm the cream in my ring finger then pat,. Warming the cream is important otherwise it will again just sit on top of skin Another way of warming it is to rub it between palm, I think part of product here is wasted since Im feeling that my palm is absorbing it, but its very effective in warming the cream especially when my fingers are cold..
My skin condition: Prone to dryness especially when cold (in airconditioned room and during christmas season when it tends to get cold).. When its hot my nose area tends to oil up but the rest of the face is still dry and so the tendency for my make-up to cake.
So here’s my take:
I only use this at night. Though my skin usually absorbs the cream, during humid days the cream have the tendency to sit just sit on top of the skin so it feels sticky..
Upon first application, I felt tightening effect on my skin and im not kidding!.. I felt it working,. Ok, it might be psychological coz I really don’t wanna waste my hard-earned bucks on this jar.. I was on a training when I was road-testing this hence the high-stress and less sleep,. But my skin didn’t act –up,. My skin usually break-out when im stressed.. My skin wasn’t greasing-up.. And to top it all, my wo-workers says im blooming (hiyang sa training as they term it).. At first I was developing bumps on forehead (noticeable only when I insanely look closely in the mirror).. I thought maybe my skin is just getting accustomed with this heavy cream.
A month after, I was loving this baby, made my skintone even, no red spots. My skin just feel supple and well moisturized, its really radiant in the morning.. My skin usually gets dry during cold season hence the dry patches and obvious peeling but with La mer, I don’t have to deal with these anymore..I don’t think it have exfoliating factor but my skin feel renewed. So it does heal skin conditions, I like my skin now even without make-up, it’s glowing..
Now the scent, I dunno why others hate it,. Its light floral scent is calming for me, It’s not as strong as OTE’s scent.. Its ok for me, I like it.
Why? * It’s so expensive.. need I say more?...
* I would have love it more if it’s in pump bottle. So I wouldn’t have to wash the spatula each time I’m gonna use it
* sometimes hate the warming part, paid a lot for this miracle cream and yet it’s tasking. There are nights that I'm just too tired so I want to keep my night rituals really short,. I hope they will come up with a version that will make application a breeze
* But efficiency wise, it delivered for me…
Will I repurchase? Hmmm… There are other moisturizers waiting for me to review,. In fact sitting in my counter now are Estee Lauder Advance Night Repair and Hydra Complete Multi Level Moisture Cream, all waiting for me to finish my bottle of La mer and Olay TE so I can start with this and give fair review. After this I’m bound to give Shishiedo a fair shot.. But I’m glad I did try La mer, I wasn’t disappointed at all… I might resort back to Crème de la mer if others wont work for me,..